24 April 2008

Winnipeg to Toronto

Winnipeg wasn't my typical travel destination. For a start it was a bit of downtime: it was an opportunity to wash some clothes and watch some movies in the hostel. It was also different because I actually went into an art gallery. As you know, I typically don't partake in those touristy favourite activities like museums and galleries (normally opting for cultural hubs like pubs), but apparently the Winnipeg Art Gallery was having a family day with free entry so I gave it a go. I actually enjoyed it.

I was a little bit worried that I would die of boredom on my 31 hour train ride from Winnipeg to Toronto, which involves crossing about half of Canada. I considered upgrading to Silver and Blue class again, but decided it didn't justify the CAD $275 expense.

As soon as the train had crossed the border from Manitoba to Ontario, both the scenery and weather changed. Dull orange plains were replaced by small rocky hills covered in birch and pine trees, and then, after a few miles lakes. Thousands and thousands of them. All the way to the Toronto outskirts we were passing lakes, ranging in sizes from ponds to huge bays where you can barely see the other side.

The weather change I mentioned was that the sun came out, and for the first time since my last day at Whistler I saw clear blue skies and sunshine. It was an instant good impression of Ontario. And as we got deeper into Ontario, the lakes changed too. As we progressed East, the lakes became less and less frozen. From icy white lakes near the Manitoba border to deep blue waterways closer to Toronto.

Me decision not to upgrade was a good one. I slept like a baby for more than 10 hours on my two seats. Every time I woke up, the train would rock me back to sleep. I even fell asleep several times again the next day.

The time passed surprisingly quickly. I had a sleep, a book, iPod and computer to entertain me, as well as food from the coffee shop car, and overall the 31 hours went quickly. I've had uni lectures which have felt longer!

As we arrived through Toronto's sprawling suburbs, just as it was getting dark, I spotted a sign displaying the temperature. 17 degrees C, after dark. I had returned to a warm climate. It made me smile.

Tomorrow I hope to go on the CN Tower, and after a few days in Toronto I plan on crossing the border to French-speaking Quebec and visiting Montreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment