21 December 2009

A week in Australia

I have been home for just over a week now and it has been great.

Catching up with various friends, enjoying the sun, going to the beach and going out in Melbourne.  As always, the sun puts me in a good mood, and it has been sunny all except one really rainy day.

Some of the highlights of my visit so far:

  • Going down the coastal town of Sorrento for a few days with some mates to enjoy days of lazing around on the surf beaches
  • Walking around Melbourne and taking in all sights. After being gone for a while it really is easy to appreciate that it is a beautiful city.
  • Catching up wth friends and family.  I had a small party at my parents new house to which I invited various friends to all catch up at once. It was a good night.
At first it really didn't feel like home - I have gotten so settled in in London. But as time passes I think yes - this is home - and its great. Having said that though, now that some of the excitement of being home is wearing off, I imagine that if I had to be back here permanently and had to find a job rather than having a holiday, I would soon get bored again.

London has long had a reputation for being expensive, but with recent economic conditions, exchange rates and general cost of living, I think Australia is definitely more expensive. Some things remain cheaper, like public transport and rent, but everyday costs such as food, drinks, clothes - it is all quite a bit more pricey than the UK.

A couple of weeks of Victoria left and then it's back to freezing London.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous21.12.09

    Our street has been covered with snow since last Thursday, woke up and it was snowing again today... But London hasn't been as lucky - they have barely a dusting :(.

    JD

    ReplyDelete