04 March 2010

Skiing in Gastein

I went to Austria last week and spent a few days in and around Vienna and then went over to the Salzburg region for some skiing. I am yet to write a proper post about the trip, but in the meantime, here is a review for the place I stayed at in the mountains:

I first heard about the Euro Youth Hotel in The Times article on The world's 10 best ski hostels (published way back on 17 December 2008). I was looking for a place in Europe to go skiing solo and therefore wanted to stay in a hostel where I would get to meet some people. This place was an excellent choice!  

I stayed in a 14 bed dorm. So obviously I wasn't expecting too much luxury. The dorms were clean, large and with comfortable wooden bunk beds The people were friendly. Private rooms are also available. There was a TV/lounge room, a restaurant, a pub and a basement bar, so plenty of common areas to hang out and meet new friends. Beers were €2.90 for a pint and there was a nightly happy hour offering cheap shots.  

Inclusive breakfast was available for both for the dorm guests as well as the hotel guests. Probably the best hostel breakfast I have had anywhere in the world.  

Best of all, though, was the location. The hostel is across the road from the train station and the ski centre from where the gondola goes to the top of the mountain. There is also a EuroSpar supermarket right next door, and plenty of bakeries, bars and other useful businesses nearby, including ski hire. The hostel gives a good ski hire deal. Gastein is a good ski area with long and challenging runs, and a multi day lift ticket gives you access to the whole Ski Adame region.

I hope to write a full post soon. See you then!

1 comment:

  1. The Euro Youth Hotel is really beautiful. We had a memorable stay here during our Gastein, Austria trip. The staff was very hospitable and cooperative, and the rooms were luxury and clean. It is really adorable Hotel.

    Best Regards,

    ReplyDelete